Friday, February 18, 2011

It’s Only a Model
Let’s face it; most of us play wargames because the models are so awesome looking.  I thought it would be fun to talk about some of my favorite models from different games.  I’m going to ignore how these models play in actual game situations for a later article.  These are a few models that for me embody the game or inspired me to play.
1.       Ral Partha Battlemaster.  This was the first model I ever used in a wargame.  I borrowed it from a friend who was teaching me how to play the game.  The idea of piloting an 85 ton war machine into battle was exhilarating to my young mind.  I remember having the Particle Projectile Cannon shot off my right arm and having to resort to pummeling an opponents Archer to scrap with the left.  From then on I was hooked.  I bought my own B-mer and the Medium Lance set (I have always favored maneuverability over firepower) a week later.  I have since lost my original, but I do own one a friend bought for his collection years later.  Unfortunately, the Battlemaster was one of the models Iron Wind Metals redesigned when they obtained the rights to Ral Partha’s old casts and the rights to produce Battletech minis.  I like the new one a lot, though.  You be the judge.
The Classic

                                The Redesign

2.      Games Workshop’s Space Marine Ironclad Dreadnought.  Nothing says Warhammer 40K to me like Dreadnoughts.  I use them nearly every game I play with my Marines.  They look awesome on the table, provide tactical flexibility, and can SERIOUSLY wreck the day of a squad of Khorne Berserkers.  The Ironclad, not only looks like an impressively massive hunk of machinery, it is a beast to bring down.  It also happens to be a fairly easy kit to put together, which is a plus in my book.

3.       Privateer Press Cygnar Ironclad.  Warmachine is the newest wargame I have dabbled in.  I only own a few models, but the biggest reason I chose to collect a Cygnar force was this guy.  Maybe it was my love for the Ironclad Dreadnought, or the Steam Punk vibe of the Warmachine universe, but I love the shear brutality of this model.  Warmachine is a very up-close-and-personal game.  Nothing shows that better than this Jack. 
Your turn.  What are the models that inspired you to play a game?  What are your favorites?

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment