Sunday, June 12, 2011

Eldar Codex thoughts

I've been finishing my Eldar army as much as possible so they look great on the Space Hulk table in our Apocalypse game today.  This got me thinking; the Eldar Codex is showing its age.  I know it isn't as old as the Necron Codex, but I don't play Necrons, so I can't gripe about them.  I started brainstorming about what I would like to see out of the next Eldar Codex.  here are five things I thought of.  Yes, they are a bit fanboyish, but so what.  This is MY blog.  If you don't like it, write your own.

1. Wave Serpents should be Assault Vehicles.  The Eldar are a highly mobile, close shooting, and assault based army.  Not having transports that Banshees or Harlequins can assault out of doesn't make sense for a "fast" army.

2. Phoenix Lords, Wraithlords, and Wraithguard need Invulnerable saves.  If your average Marine Captain gets a 4++ from an Iron Halo, why cant a Phoenix Lord, an ancient, godlike, immortal warrior have one as well?  Wraithlords and Wraithguard should get a 5++ like Terminators.  They are basically robots.  Their high toughness is great, but Power Weapons can wreck them too easily.  I wouldn't mind paying more for them either.

3.  Phoenix Lords should unlock their Aspect Warriors as Troops or at least make them scoring units.  I LOVE this trend in Codex construction.  Yes, the Aspects need to work together to be effective, but I'm not a power gamer.  I want to field nothing but Striking Scorpions with Karandras at the helm. 

4. Give me the rest of the Phoenix Lords.  Shining Spears and Warp Spiders aren't the most popular Aspects, but I am a completist. 

5. Bring in some of the Forge World units.  Shadow Spectres, Hornets, and Assault Walkers all would have a place in my army.  An HQ Wraithlord (who unlocks Wraithguard as Troops) would also be welcome with open arms.

One final plea to GW; PLEASE REDESIGN THE JET BIKE MODELS!  The Dark Eldar jet bikes are so sweet looking, I am on the verge of buying a ton of them and making them less evil looking.  The current Eldar bikes are very useful, but they are 3rd edition models.  They look frighteningly out of place in 5th edition.

Later

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty much in total agreement on everything but 1, but I think the Eldar should get an assault vehicle - Something like the Venom maybe?

    Also, since Jes Goodwin did such a stunning job with the Dark Eldar redesign, I'm hoping he'll be convinced to update some of the Eldar models. Wraithguard, jet bikes (the riders more than the bikes) and some of the Phoenix Lords look a bit dated.

    ReplyDelete